Hamsa

Hamsa

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

from the “Kena Upanishad"


(from ‘The Upanishads’ by Eknath Easwaran)

“Who makes my mind think?
Who fills my body with vitality?
Who causes my tongue to speak? Who is that
Invisible one who sees through my eyes
And hears through my ears?”…..

Once upon a time the gods defeated
The demons; and though the victory
Was brought about through the power of Brahman,
The gods boasted, “Ours is the victory,
And ours the power and glory.”

Brahman saw their foolish pride and appeared
Before them. But they recognized him not.
They said to Agni, god of fire, “Find out
Who this mysterious being is.” “I will,”
Promised Agni and approached the being.

“Who are you?” asked the mysterious one.
“I am Agni, god of fire, known to all.”
“Are you powerful?” “I can burn all on earth.”
“Burn this:” and Brahman placed a straw in front.
The god of fire attacked the straw but failed
To burn it. Then he ran back to the gods
And confessed, “I have failed to discover
Who this mysterious being is.”
They said to Vayu, god of air, “Find out
Who this mysterious being is.” “I will,”
Promised Vayu and approached the being.
“Who are you?” asked the mysterious one.
“I am Vayu, god of air, king of space.”
“Are you powerful?” “I can blow all away.”
“Blow this away.” Brahman placed a straw in front.
The god of air attacked the straw, but failed
To move it. Then he ran back to the gods
And confessed, “I have failed to discover
Who this mysterious being is.”

They begged Indra, leader of gods, “Find out
Who this mysterious being is.” “I will,”
Promised Indra and approached the being,
Who disappeared instantly. In his place
appeared the lovely goddess of wisdom,
Uma, daughter of the Himalayas;
And Indra asked her, “Who was that being?”

Uma replied, “That was Brahman from whom
Comes all your power and glory.” The gods
Realized at last the Self is Brahman….

It is the power of Brahman that makes
The mind to think, desire and will.
Therefore
Use this power to meditate on Brahman.

He is the inmost Self of everyone;
He alone is worthy of all our love.
Meditate upon him in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List